Tuesday 1 January 2013

That was the year that was.

01.01.13

For those of you that have read my entry in this months edition of The Marketor, stop now, the following is just that. But for those who want a final taste of the activities of the Master Marketor in 2012 then here we go.

A Masters year is usually eventful, but few can have experienced one quite as active as mine. There was the Diamond Jubilee, the London Olympics, the Garden Party, the Lord Mayors Show, plus, of course, the very many formal events where the Mistress and I, either together or separately, where honoured to represent the Worshipful Company of Marketors. And then there was the Op which, despite it going wrong, did not hold me back too much. And so a great year with, at the time of writing, some events still to come.

On becoming Master, it is written that you are the most senior member of the Company. However you soon realise that while this might be the case, it is the Court which rightly make the key decisions. This year its key decision has related to the restructuring of the support activities, and also the infrastructure, of the Company. A move which, I am sure, will serve to better direct the activities of the Company in addressing our Aims and Objectives as described in our new Royal Charter.

So what have been the highlights? Well it is difficult to say. Having written over 90 blogs so far, each representing a day within which up to five events occurred, maybe I should get the 1,000 plus readers each month to vote. But no, I guess the choice is between the extremely moving Installation Ceremony and Dinner, and the Spring Luncheon and Service which was my first event after returning to the fold. But then there was the Court Dinner (see previous blog). Mind you, Prince Charles greeting the Mistress at their Garden Party with “Mrs Flynn, so glad you could come” will take some beating, as will my meeting the Queen at one of Prince Phillips birthday events.

So what has been achieved in this time? As mentioned before, the implementing of the strategic plan is, I believe, crucial to the future of the Company. Then there is the establishment of the Law and Marketing Group which addresses a specific requirement of the Royal Charter, and a need in the broader marketing community. I am also particularly proud of introducing an annual Common Hall, an opportunity for Liverymen to regularly receive a report on the current position of the Company and its plans for the future. Other events, which will hopefully be repeated, include the Monmouth Initiative with the Haberdashers, and the Marketing Ethics question time at St Brides. 

This is usually the point where one expresses gratitude for the support of the family, “without whom…etc”. This time it is with real feeling. As one of my sons put it “My Dad, oh he died, but he is better now”. While I was unconscious, my family went through an horrific time, and then Brenda in particular had the lengthy recovery period with which to cope. Add to that the pressures of being the Mistress of a Livery Company and I have a lot for which to be grateful.

And so to the future. The first of the four Aims of the new strategy is “To actively support the Mayoralty and the City of London Corporation” and is led by the Immediate Past Master, which next year is, of course, me. So that is it. I will still have some purpose in the Marketors even as I step down.

Thank you all for your support, and for those that have followed my blog, thank you for the interest.

John Flynn
Master Marketor

1 comment:

  1. Given the trials and tribulations of 2012, it's amazing that you covered so much ground in the time that you did. You've definitely raised the game and I'm delighted I could play a small part in this effort.

    All the best for 2013.

    Ardi

    ReplyDelete