Thursday 27 September 2012

Between the Beatles and Dickens

27.09.12

While I usually report on events where I represent the Marketors, there are many where I am invited  because of my connection with the Company, but not to represent it, the last two days being a good examples. Having started the week with the opening of the Beatles "Let It Be" at the Prince of Wales theatre, my first semi official event was Tuesday at Cass Business School where I attended a seminar led by the Ehrenberg Bass Institute of Marketing on the subject of "Marketing is a Science: it can be measured, predicted and explained". My own Masters in Marketing being an MSc I immediately warmed to the various arguments. The new message I took way with me was that segments and products tend to be similar amongst competitors so don't search for the USP or the differentiators, create a distinctiveness that raises you above the rest. The one question I asked was  regarding neural marketing, a topic that had not been covered, and in which I have an interest. Was it a science, hype or voodoo? The feeling amongst the experts was that it was hyped science and in its infancy. My view - watch this space.

And so to Wednesday which started at 8:30am in Glaziers Hall; only a short walk from where I live. The subject was "Can Brands be Trusted to take a larger role in Society" An impressive array of speakers, including people from PwC, Deloitte and MediaCom, mainly covered the subjects of truth, trust and reputation in the context of brands. There was much talk of the views of the millenials (those born in the 80's) and the diminishing importance of profit, and how social morality should be a part of an organisations DNA. And then James Woodhuysen of De Montfort University spoke, brushing aside, in his words, "ethics / shmethics" and "sustainababble" and concentrating on what he believes really needs to be done in terms of society, namely to address the larger issues of energy and water, topics which should be led by government. With regards to charitable activities I later had the chance to point out that Companies such a the Glaziers had been supporting communities since the days of Charles I and that all 108 Livery Companies had the objective of sustainability which in their case meant longevity - the ability to continue to do good. I, of course mentioned The Marketors.

And so from Glaziers to Plaisterers for a Marketors Court Meeting. I cannot report here on the content of the agenda or the outcome, but can report that there were two important and lengthy topics which took us until 8:30pm to address. This left me with a mad dash to catch up with the Mistress at the Playhouse theatre in time to see the second act of "The Mystery of Charles Dickens", a one man show by Simon Callow in which he played the many Dickensian characters brilliantly. A delightful end to a hectic day.

John Flynn
Master Marketor     

No comments:

Post a Comment